Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Bad Axe - Big Streamer Paradise

Of all the streams/creeks/rivers/coulees I have fished in the Driftless, the Bad Axe River stands alone as the best large trout factory.
Best Driftless Brown

My most recent trip a was able to hook up with a fish on my first cast, throw some hefty streamers, and catch large brown trout on a 6" articulated streamer.

Off to a good start
the articulated leech

Mmmm, peanut butter bacon sandwich


But, why the heck would a 14 inch brown trout attack or try to eat a streamer almost half its size.  The answer came while I was fishing a small leech, after the articulated leech that I was throwing broke into 2 pieces.  I caught a creek chub.  It ate my leech and I pulled in a 6" chub.  After letting the little guy go, and after I had caught a good number of fish already, I decided to throw on the largest streamers in my box.  They happen to be a Mike's Meal Ticket that I tied myself on size 2 hooks. The first cast with that huge streamer the river exploded as a large brown trout smacked the fish imitation and missed.  After I caught my breath I preceded to catch the 2 largest trout of the day and miss one more in the last 10 minutes of the fishing trip.

So that's why the trout eat my giant streamer!


victim of Mike's Meal Ticket

Swam away a wiser fish


Why didn't I have on that beastly Mike's Meal Ticket in the first place?  I will from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog