Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Fishing Buddy


"A fishing buddy is harder to find than a wife."
-Somebody at a fishing shop one time



I actually prefer to fish alone.  The few times that I have taken other people fly fishing, I came to the realization that I am not going to fish myself.  I was going to help that other person get onto some fish.  The life of a guide sounds hard.

But, there is one person who is my fishing equal.  A person who's knowledge I actually take and appreciate while on the water, discussing setups, or tying flies.  My fishing buddy and I met in college while we were both on the Chico State Cross Country team.  But our friendship wasn't forged from running hundreds of miles together.  It was formed bass fishing in and around Chico, CA in places we nicknamed granny hole, osprey hole, and shit house hole.



The point is I do want to fish with other people.  But, more often that not fishing comes secondary to getting outside with a good friend.  If you want to fish more that converse with another person, I hope you have a friend like Tyler, who at one time did take me out and show me the ropes of bass fishing.  Now we can both head out and fish a stream without ruining the hole for the other guy.  We no longer race to the best holes as we did in our youth.  Now, when I do get a chance to fish with him.  The last 2 summers have been the best fly fishing experiences of my life.

I hope you have a buddy like I do.



Thanks Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog