Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Broken Rods: Orvis vs. Temple Fork Outfitters

Last spring 100% of my prized fly rods were broken.  How does this happen?  Well, one by accident, and one being pigheaded.  
Pigheaded:
I had a wonderful whippy little 7' 09" 4 weight TFO Finesse Series.  I absolutely love this rod.  Not only was this my first rod, it is my favorite and has never failed me.  From casting mice and tungsten headed buggers to minute midge emergers, it does not fail.  I highly recommend anyone look into TFO Finesse Series, for they money it is a great little small stream rod.  I broke this rod just buy pulling the line/leader connection through the last ferule.  Ouch!  I heart my own feelings that time. 
Accident:
I earned a bonus the teaching year of 2010 and used it to get myself a 9 foot 6 weight Hydros from Orvis.  This was a great rod for larger streams and some larger flies that I started throwing.  Fast forward 2 years, spring on a tributary of the Bad Axe, I backcast into a tree and then forward cast. Explosion, rod in 3 peices, line still 5 ft up in the air.  

I sent each rod back to the manufacturer the same day.  Orvis required a $30 fee with returning the rod and TFO a $25 fee.  Both very reasonable in my view.  

TFO was lightning, I had my rod back in just a few days and was on the water again with "Mr. Whippypants."

Orvis took much longer.  I did not get the rod back for 6 weeks, but it was in excellent shape and it was returned to me right before my trip to Montana and Oregon.  

As for the time difference, TFO was amazingly fast.  Their rod shop was great, and I am sure that they just grabbed the piece/s that were broke, through them in the bag and shipped it back to me the next day.  Orvis, sent the rod to their rod shop.  It was then refurbished with 2 newly wrapped and finished pieces.  It just took much longer.  

In either case, I was satisfied.  Especially because I had my 4 wt. to play with as my 6 wt. got fixed.  If I only had one rod that was broke, I would have hated to weight that long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog